WHAT DOES SUSTAINABLE FASHION MEAN TO YOU?
Our views on this important movement
- Less waste: we are focused on not over producing our collections.
- Re-use: our deadstock fabric is kept for years ready for the moment we can re-use a tiny piece rather than send off-cuts to landfill.
- Sustainable fabrics: it's easy to get lost down a rabbit hole, I mean if you really want to be purist we should wrap our babies in kangaroo skins ;) My view on sustainable fabrics is "try your best" don't buy cheap polyester gear that you're going to wear once and throw out. I personally love the feeling of natural fibres: cotton, linen, rayon. You can go a step further with these fabrics and choose organic, and then another step with ethically sourced. I think any of these 3 tiers are a positive moves towards a sustainable future.
Vegan Leather is not always a good choice: an unpopular statement but hear me out, "vegan leather" or PU (polyurethane) is plastic. Yup, sadly marketeers are greenwashing plastic these days and good people trying to make good choices are falling for it. 100% PU leather is completely artificial. There are some types of PU leather called bicast leather that have actual leather but has a polyurethane coating on top. This type of PU leather takes the fibrous part of cowhide that are leftover from making genuine leather and put a layer of polyurethane on top of it. Not all PU leathers are vegan because some contain leftover genuine leather.
Even though it uses fewer resources to make, plastics don’t decompose and aren’t the most eco-friendly.
- Wash your clothes less: unless you've dashed the 100 meters your dress is probably fine to air on a hanger and be re-worn. Washing your clothes less with lengthen the life of the garment & also save the oceans from tiny synthetic fibres.
- Be gentle with yourself: easily the hardest point on this list! When embarking on your sustainable journey don't dissolve into a puddle of "it's too late" and "what difference can I make" because YES! your small mindful choice will make a difference.
- Start Small: start where you can (or "wear" you can /pardon the pun) support small businesses trying to make a difference.
If you'd like more simple tips on sustainability swaps, here's a lovely and easy to read blog: